Windshield or windscreen is the glass placed on the front and rear sides of the vehicle. The automobile companies make the windshield of a car using laminated safety glass. By learning how to fix a cracked windshield yourself with rubbing alcohol, you will not need a mechanic’s help. The windshield protects the occupants of the vehicle. The latest windscreen has a UV coating to protect the occupants from ultraviolet radiation.
How Do Windshields Get Cracked?
- The stone, rocks, or other sharp debris on the road will damage the windscreen if they hardly hit the windshield. The trash thrown to the windshield accidently by fast-moving the vehicles; hence, we should drive cautiously in the areas under construction and the broken roads with gravel and stones.
- The windshield is made of glass layers. When there is an extreme temperature fluctuation, there are possibilities for the windscreen to crack. During summer, the inner layer will remain cold. In contrast, the outer layer gets heated, and during winter, the outer layer will be cold, and the inner layer is getting expanded due to heat inside the vehicle; hence this will cause the windscreen to crack.
- Accidents, car crash, or collision will damage the vehicle’s windshields. When someone throws a ball, stone, or other complex objects with force, and if it hits the windshield, there are possibilities for the windscreen to crack.
- As windshields are made of glass and plastic, they will be able to withstand only a certain amount of pressure. The windscreen will crack if the windscreen experiences more significant deal of stress.
- The vehicle’s windscreen should be of good quality. If the quality is poor, the durability will be below as well. The poor-quality windshield will quickly get damaged.
Windshields crack for several reasons, and there are several methods to fix the damage. In this article, we will learn how to fix a cracked windshield yourself with rubbing alcohol.
How to Fix a Cracked Windshield Yourself with Rubbing Alcohol?
Has the idea of fixing the windshield at home popped up when you think of “how to fix a crack windshield with rubbing alcohol”? Yes! You can easily do this at home.
All that you need,
- Rubbing alcohol (Isopropyl alcohol 91% or 99%)
- Insect repellent
- Microfiber cloth
- A plastic container (for mixing)
- Soft sponge
Now follow the directions step by step to fix your cracked windshield using alcohol.
- Mix rubbing alcohol (1-2 tablespoons), salt (1 tablespoon), Bug repellent (1 teaspoon), and ½ cup of water using a plastic stick. The salt should completely get dissolved in the mixture.
- Remove the dirt from the windshield using the microfiber cloth.
- Dip the soft sponge into the mixture and apply it to the crack on your windshield (let it dry for around 2-3 hours)
- After the solution completely dries, check whether the crack is visible. If yes, apply the solution again.
You might have to do this multiple times to fix the crack.
There are many other ways of fixing windshield cracks. We also use nail polish, the windshield repair kit, super glue, or fillers to fix windshield cracks. In the worst case, where we cannot fix the damages on the windshield, we will have to go for a replacement and replace it with a new windshield.
How long do Mazda 3 last Compared to Other Similar Models? Read our blog post here.
Different Types of Windshield Cracks
- Rock chip- rock breaks tiny glass pieces from the windshield.
- Star crack- small cracks go from the point of impact. The shape is almost similar to a star.
- Bull’s eye is similar to a rock chip, but the cut is deep here. Since the crack is circular, we call it bull’s eye.
- Half Moon crack- is caused when we throw an object forcefully on the windscreen, and it looks like a half-moon.
Several more cracks are based on the shape and impact they cause, namely pit, combination break, edge crack, floater crack, stress crack, and long crack.
Benefits of Rubbing Alcohol to Fix Windshield Crack
- The cost is low when compared to other methods of fixing the crack. You only need to purchase the rubbing alcohol for this method, while other raw materials will be there at home.
- The crack will spread if you do not fix it on time. As the rubbing alcohol will dry sooner, the damage will not apply.
- Alcohol is the best surface cleaner; it won’t damage the windshield as the alcohol evaporates quickly.
- We can fix multiple cracks at once. Hence it saves time.
- If you cannot afford a new windshield, make sure you use this method sooner after a crack occurs so that the damage will not spread.
The spreading of cracking will make the windshield unusable, and you will have to replace it. To prevent crack spread, you must know how to fix a cracked windshield yourself with rubbing alcohol.
How to Prevent Windshield from Cracking
You should know how the windshield gets cracked; this knowledge will help you get away from small cracks. Avoid traveling on busy highways as there are possibilities for the road debris to hit the windshield.
Also, junk from heavy vehicles carrying loads will fall on the windshield. Keeping the windshield clean and waxed will prevent cracking. Prevent severe temperature fluctuations and do not park the car under the shade. Park the vehicle in a safe place.
Safe parking will prevent the hailstorm/ hailstones from striking the windshield. Make sure that you don’t bump any object on the windscreen, any complex objects/ Sharp objects will crack the windshield slightly. Also, know how to fix a cracked windshield yourself with alcohol to prevent spreading.
Follow road rules when you drive as it would reduce accidents and will protect the vehicle. Ensure the windscreen is installed correctly, as faulty installation can lead to cracks.
This article provides sound knowledge about the windshield, how does windshield cracks, how to fix a cracked windshield yourself with rubbing alcohol, different types of windshield cracks, and preventive measures that we should take to avoid damaging windshields. We hope this article helped you!